Can't Find My Locally Saved Scribes

• Last night I worked on a scribe for multiple hours, saved it locally, and left my office.  I did not close down VideoScribe or my computer,  The weird thing is that my computer was shut down over night. 

When I opened VideoScribe this morning, nothing but the 1 scribe I saved on the cloud is appearing.  

It seems to no longer be pulling from the local destination where I originally saved.

I'm trying to search to see where this scribe would have been saved, but I am not having success.

I am operating on a PC

I don't know what version I have - I downloaded the free version last week and upgraded on Sat. 8/15.

I desperately need the local files to be found.  Any tips?

1 person has this question
  • 1) I guess you could ask your IT manager at work if there is any reason your computer would have been restored to a previous restore point or if anything else would cause files to be deleted.

2) There may be company restrictions on your work computer that prevent you from saving to the location where videoscribe saves local files.

3) If that is the case you can still save online and export a .scribe work file to the location of your choice.

4) Can you provide a screenshot of what videoscribe looks like immediately after you login? If you are looking at the scribes saved online, do you know how to switch back to the local files (I think there is a "back" arrow)

5) you can RAISE A TICKET to contact customer support directly.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• So, I was able to figure out where the files are locally saved.  Most of the local scribes appear to be in a zip file EXCEPT the one I need, which is weird.

I started recreating the stupid thing and now I'm trying to save to the cloud and it is just spinning away (for more than 10 minutes).

I raised a ticket, but nothing yet.

I may force it down, but now I'm scared I will jeapordize the original video scribe I was modifying.

I'm super frustrated.

If I can get this thing to save (or cave and force shut it down), I will post a screenshot.

• I don't think videoscribe is able to save anything as a zip file, so that seems confusing to me. Manually exported scribes are saved as .scribe files

Regular locally saved scribes are saved in a proprietary format that cannot be easily located or opened any way other than from inside the videoscribe software. (If you were viewing the online scribes from the videoscribe website, you would not see the local scribes there.)

The saving problem MIGHT be due to out-of memory errors resulting from oversized image files or excessive camera zoom settings or other issues. Related thread: TIPS to Avoid or Fix Videoscribe freezes, crashes, slowdowns, failure to export, or erratic behaviours.

If you decide to force-close the program, it will hopefully prompt you to recover the most recent autosave when you restart. (unless you have disabled autosave). If it does that, I would immediately save the recovered autosave under a new name to avoid over writing any existing file names.

If you finally manage to save the scribe online, tell support the name of it so they can provide specific feedback about problems with the scribe that you can avoid in the future.

-Mike (videoscribe user)

• When I forced it down, it did auto save.  I decided to recreate it because I'm under deadline, but I have an active case going.

I think it may have something to do with the fact that I had to change my exchange password yesterday, which may have somehow impacted my user profile?  not sure, however.

this is the local file where the scribes are saving.

GIF
    (373 KB)
  • Thanks for the screenshot. You're right, there ARE zips! I should have known that. 

-Mike (videoscribe user)
Login to post a comment