Read .scribe file for translations / internationalization

•  Good morning,

I need to translate a project into many languages. There seem to be no automated support for this task, yet.

I'm thinking about developing a tool to replace all text and graphic references automatically in the .scribe file, but the problem is that it seem to be encoded/encrypted/compromized/... It is unreaable when I open it in a text editor. Could you tell me how to decode it to make the changes, and then encode it again?

Thank you and best wishes,

Ingmar

• The .scribe file is not intended to be opened or edited outside of videoscribe, I believe. However, it is basically a zip file with an XML file in it, I think. If you are familiar with XML you may be able to experiment with it.

•  Hi Mike,

thank you for your answer! Great, that's exactly what I need. I just had a look at the extracted xml file and it is relatively easy to automate the translation process based on this file. For all who have the same aim:

For text replacement only, one could create a template project and .scribe file with unique IDs instead of text, e.g. ###text-1###. The translation files for the translators would then have the format:

###text-1### - Original text - translated text

Now one can write a simple tool/script/program which reads the template xml and replaces all ids with the translated text.

For inserted SVGs it's probable a little bit more complicated, as their source is pasted in attributes of xml-tags: So a good solution would be to parse the xml, extract all IDs of the drawings (and texts), create a mapping of ID to text/SVG and do a complete xml manipulation/replacement of the texts and drawings. For all who have worked with xml libraries that should not be a big problem.

Thank you Mike and greetings,

Ingmar

Login to post a comment