QUESTION: What is the best way to make SVG images that draw properly in VideoScribe? ANSWER: I believe the tips below will help you get the best results with the fewest problems (such as improperly drawn images, visual glitches, interface and timeline problems, slow downs, freezing, crashing or failure to save, load, or render). Some terms or phrasing used in this thread may be slightly different among various versions of inkscape or illustrator.
TIP 0) If you want the simplest method for making SVG images for VideoScribe, here it is:
- Use inkscape or Illustrator. If you use other programs you will probably have unexpected results.
- Use the pen tool or the pencil tool to create BASIC stroked paths with no styles, no masks, no paintbrush tool, no calligraphy pen, no effects of any kind.
- If you use the pen tool, please click&drag when you create each point (instead of just clicking) so that the control handles for each point will be extended and the paths will draw more smoothly.
- Delete any extra layers or other parts that will not be drawn (instead of just hiding them) before you save your SVG for videoscribe.
- If you use a version of inkscape or Illustrator created after 2012, see TIP 7 later in this thread for information about the best save settings to prevent glitches.
- Use "SAVE AS... SVG". Don't "Export for web".
That's all you really need to know if you want to keep it simple!
(Continue reading for more complex techniques) -Mike (videoscribe user)
Versions v3.0 - v3.3 of VideoScribe will be withdrawn on March 16th 2020. We've already emailed customers using these versions directly as this means they will not be able to log in until they upgrade. But don’t worry, upgrading to the latest version of VideoScribe is free, easy and will give you access to lots of great new features! How can I find out what version of VideoScribe I'm using? It's quick and easy to check which version of VideoScribe you are using, just click on the '?' About and help button on the bottom left once you've logged in. This will open the 'About' window and the version number will be displayed. Any version starting with 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 or 3.3 will no longer work from the 16th March. I'm using one of the versions being withdrawn, what do I need to do? To upgrade log in to the website, visit the download page and download the installer. Once downloaded you can then install the new version on your computer and log in, all the projects saved on your computer will still be there when you log in. Detailed instructions on downloading and installing the latest version are available here. What can I expect? The latest version of VideoScribe is packed with lots of great new features that make creating professional-looking videos easier than ever. By upgrading, you'll have access to all of these including: A new design to the music library making the ideal track easy to find Tailor the color of over 40% of the 6,500 images in the image library A great selection of template projects have been added You can publish videos directly to Vimeo Big improvements to the performance of VideoScribe Any questions? If you have any questions you can reply to this forum post or raise a ticket for the team. We really hope you enjoy making videos in the new version of VideoScribe!
We updated the VideoScribe image library yesterday and introduced 184 new icon images, this took us to over 7,000 images available within the free library! Watch the video below to see them in action and if you have any image requests you can let us know in the What images would you like to see? forum.